This stone circle is of unknown status. No recorded measurement or description can be found.
This stone circle was removed in the 19th Century. Little is known of it other than the fact that it is reported to have had 10 stones. There is now a road running through where the circle is reported to have stood.
Seascale. Grey Croft Circle
This circle has been dug out and recently restored. It is almost circular with a diameter of approximately 24.2 metres. There are 10 remaining stones, of the originally reported 12 stone circle. The stone is made of the volcanic lava, Agglomerates which was formed by the glacial action in the Lake District. During restoration work a discovery of a smaller circle, oval in shape, was made in the centre measuring 6.6 metres by 4.5 metres. This site is thought to date to around 2200-1400BC.
Dean. Stone Circle called Studfold Gate, on Dean Moor
This Megalithic ring consists of 11 stones that can still be seen although some of them are very low and one has been incorporated into a modern wall which cuts the circle. The circle itself is ellipse in shape and measures 35.1 metres by 28.4 metres. The circle had a low cairn centred 4.6 metres from the focal point of the site. Although excavated in 1924 there were no reported finds.
This site consisted of 3 stone circles. Unfortunately they were dynamited and partly buried in the 19th century. The facts and figures of the stone circles are reported as follows:
a) 31.7 metres in diameter
b) 22 by 18.9 metres in diameter making it ellipse in shape with an internal cairn.
c) 7.3 metres in diameter
As already stated these are now destroyed and do not appear on O/S maps.
Swinside. Nr Blakely Raise
This particular circle was perhaps the surround of a cairn or barrow. It measures approximately 9 metres in diameter and consists of 12 stones, each about half-a-metre high. This circle does not appear on the O/S maps although further down the road at Grid Reference NY.061131 on O/S maps there is marked "Standing Stones". This is in fact a farm called "Standing Stones" because there had allegedly used to be standing stones at this site, however, none remain unless they were used to construct the original farm. Sometimes these two locations are confused.
This stone circle is now unrecognisable but is reported to have measured 30.5 metres in diameter and was classed as a plain ring. It is not shown on maps.
See Brat's Hill, Eskdale for details NY 173023.
Refer to Brat's Hill, Eskdale NY. 173023
Eskdale. Brat's Hill on Burn moor, Nr Boot
You will need to make a steep climb to reach this collection of circles. The largest is flattened and measures 32 metres by 25.9 metres. Of the original 42 stones only 8 now stand although the rest can be seen. What makes this circle unusual is in the South Westerly half of the circle there are five cairns which are about seven metres in diameter and are surround by the remains of kerbs and/or stone circles.
In 1827 two of these cairns were excavated and were found to be domes of stones under which were cremations of animal bones and antlers. 130 metres to the North West of Brat's Hill at White Moss there are two circles 16 metres in diameter and then 450 metres North above White Moss are two circles at Low Longrigg. One of which is 15 metres in diameter and contains a cairn, and the second, to the North East, is of an oval shape 22 metres by 15 metres in diameter and contains a two cairns.
Setmurthy. Elva Plain
The tallest of the 15 stones in this circle stands approximately 1 metre high. The circle is approximately 34 metres in diameter and has 1 outlying stone to the south-east. Originally it is thought there were 30 stones making up the circle. It may not be very impressive but it is a definite stone circle. The stone circle can be approached by means of a footpath from the back of the farm. You cannot see this stone circle from the road.
St. John's. Castlerigg & Wythburn-on Castlerigg. Nr Threlkeld, Keswick, "The Carles"
This stone circle is well worth visiting and commands excellent views of the countryside and is also worth viewing at different seasons and times of day. The circle has 38 massive stones making an oval ring which has a diameter of 85 metres with an added 10 stones forming a rectangular shape within the circle which touches the East side and a further solitary stone standing 100 yards to the south-west. The heaviest stone being approximately 15 tons in weight. To the East of the circle, approximately 3.5 kilometres away, lies the hill "Threlkeld Knott" over which the equinoctial sun rises. The circle is thought to have been built around the Neolithic (New Stone Age)period.
This Stone Circle is now destroyed but used to measure 24.4 metres in diameter. Not indicated on O/S map.
This stone circle is unrecognisable but is reported to have measured 15.2 metres in diameter and was classed as a plain ring. Does not appear on maps.
Stone circle quarter of a mile N.W. of Troutbeck Park (near Windermere) shown as Cairns 3/4 of a mile East of Woundale on maps and could be a collection of cairns not a stone circle.
The diameter of this circle is reported to be 19.2 metres. It is of uncertain status and no other information could be found. Not shown on O/S maps.
Barton. Stone Circle on Swarth Fell
Although this maybe unrecognisable it is reported to have a diameter of 17.4 metres and be a plain ring. On O.S. maps it is referred to as "stone circle".
Barton. "The Cockpit" Stone Circle, East of Barton Park
This could be a stone circle or a ringed cairn. It consists of 2 concentric circles of stone that measure just over 25 metres in diameter, probably representing the inner and outer facing of a stone wall which forms a roughly circular enclosure. On the South East of this wall there are traces of a small cairn or dwelling, whether it is connected to the stones is unclear. There are a couple less clearly defined groups of stones on the West arc of the wall.
This is a megalithic upright and stands approximately 1.4 metres high. This stone appears to be enclosed by a slight bank most of which has now disappeared, since it was first recorded. A smaller standing stone can be found approximately 400 yards NW of this and several cairns also appear in the vicinity. Approximately 420 yards NW of Copstone lies a cairn which has 10 stones projecting above the mounds surface. These stones may have acted as some kind of surround to the cairn before it began to disintegrate and spread.
No details can be found about this stone circle except that it is destroyed. Possibly to make way for the A592 road?
This stone circle is reported to measure 18.3 metres in diameter and may have an internal cairn. Shown as Henge on O/S map.
Wilson Scar. Thrimby, Shap North
This is a small stone circle and consists of 32 small stones and is 18.3 metres in diameter. It is now destroyed and fairly unrecognisable. Although sometimes referred to as Shap North it is actually located to the West of Gunnerkeld stone circle. Shap North is not shown on O/S maps.
Ainstable & Cumwhitton. Stone Circle, in Bloomrigg Plantation
Although ruined it is still recognisable. It has an ellipse shape and a diameter of 50.9 by 50 metres. It has outlying stones or an avenue but has not been investigated further. Although excavated in 1930's and 1950's there have been no finds. The site is shown on O/S maps along with cairn circle and Stone.
Cumwhitton. "Grey Yauds"
Grey Yauds meaning (Grey Horses) is over 47.6 metres in diameter and was destroyed when the common was enclosed and only the outlier survives. Outlying stones are often believed to be for astronomical use along with directional purposes by travellers to and from the site and help to channel Earth Energy Lines. The site is shown on O/S maps as "Stone circle (remains of).
Kemp Howe. Shap South
This circle is approximately 24 metres in diameter and stands to the East of the River Lowther. Now badly damaged, with only 6 of the great Shap granite boulders still remaining, each of them over two metres long, traces can be found of at least 8 stones towards a 300 metre long avenue which runs north-west towards Skellaw Hill Barrow from this circle. The avenue can be traced up to Thunder Stone (Grid Ref: NY.552157). 135 yards SE of Thunder Stone stands one of the stones that make the avenue, which in the 18th Century was reported to have the name "Goggleby Stone".
Shap. Gunnerkeld-The Shap Group of Circles
There is a group of stone circles in this area referred to as the Shap group of circles. The easiest one to see is the one called Gunnerkeld on Rosgill and can be seen whilst travelling South bound on the M6 motorway the ring consists of 2 concentric ovals enclosing a low mound and cist. The inner ring is approximately 18 metres in diameter and is more complete than the outer ring which measures 28 metres in diameter only 3 of the estimated 18 stones are still standing. This circle is also sometimes referred to as Shap central.
Leacet Hill. Cairn/Circle
This circle consists of 7 stones forming a circle 11.2 metres in diameter and are the retaining stones of a round barrow. It was excavated in the 19th Century when a cremation and a series of urns were found at the centre. Shown as cairn circle on O/S maps.
Little Salkeld. "Long Meg & her Daughters" at Hunsonby and Little Meg (Maughanby Circle)
This is one of the largest stone circles in Britain and according to folklore the stones represent a local witch and her coven who were turned to stone. Another legend claims that the smaller stones around Long Meg were her lovers. It was also said that if a piece was broken off Long Meg the stone would bleed. Michael Scot (Wondrous Wizard 1175-1234) was said to have endowed Long Meg's stones with magical powers making it that no one could ever count the stones twice alike. This belief is now country wide and is believed also of the Rollright Stones and the Countless stones in Kent.
Long Meg is made of red sandstone and is 3.7 metres tall and its North Eastern face has the markings of a cup and ring, a spiral and an incomplete concentric circle. The actual oval ring (the daughters)is 109.4 metres by 93 metres and slopes from West to East.
There were originally 66 stones in the ring and an entrance on the South West side, close to Long Meg of which 27 still stand. Within the circle stand two of the largest stones on the East and West of the circle in the direction of the Spring and Summer Equinoxes. The heaviest stone situated at the S.S.W. is estimated to weigh 28 tons. The site is thought to date to around 2200-1400BC. 700 yards NE of Long Meg is "Little Meg" sometimes called Maughanby Circle. It consists of 11 stones which originally surrounded a barrow of 2 stones, one is still in position, being calved and decorated with hollows and spiral engravings
Glassonby. Cairn Circle
This ring consists of 31 stones with a diameter of 14 metres. It was a retaining circle for a mound which covered a cist. The original contents of the circle is unknown but an urn, found outside the circle dated to between 2200-1400BC. Shown as cairn circle on O/S map.
Crosby Ravensworth. 240 yards S.E. of Castlehowe Scar
Believed to be 6.4 metres in diameter and a plain ring. Consisting of 11 stones all except one are still standing, although ruined it is still recognisable.
NY.593129 Crosby Ravensworth. 600 yards S.S.W. of Oddendale
This circle is situated on the summit of Oddendale fells, 335 metres above sea level, and consists of an outer ring 26.2 metres across and an inner curb 7 metres in diameter. To the East of the two circles is a single block of stone. The stone circle has an internal cairn. Excavated pre-1879, remains of cremations were found. A ruined but recognisable circle thought to date to around 2500 BC.
Crosby Ravensworth. N.E. of Coalpit Hill
Thought to be a plain ring, ruined but recognisable. Unable to find more information at this time
Orton. Gamelands Stone Circle, Westmorland
Standing at the base of Knott Scar, close to the River Lune, artefacts have been found here that are thought to date from the period between 1800-1400 BC. Although partially destroyed it is still recognisable, 42 metres in diameter it once boasted 40 stones but farming over 100 years ago has either damaged or reduced them. There are now only 33 stones left and it is classed as a flattened and embanked stone circle. The stones, which are made of Shap Granite, stand no more than 1 metre high, above ground.
Annaside. Nr Bootle
This stone circle, which is now destroyed, measured 18.3 metres in diameter and had an unreported number of stones. Not shown on O/S maps.
Kirksampton. West of Millom Giant's Grave Group of circles in a 2 mile radius
This area consists of 5 circles and 2 possible avenues. The specifications of the 5 circles are as follows:-
Circle 1 - 15 metres in diameter and has 6 surviving stones. Two of which stand close together and face East.
Circle 2 - 14.5 metres in diameter and also has 6 stones still standing. Originally it is thought that it would have had 11 equally spaced uprights. Near it's centre there was an inner ring of stone circles which measured 4 metres in diameter and stood on top of a mound.
Circle 3 - Original diameter thought to be about 21 metres and has 4 stones. The longest of which measures 1.5 metres.
Circle 4 - Has an oval shape measuring 18.3 by 15.6 metres in diameter. Located near the centre of the circle is a large flat stone. This circle also has a very rough line of stones extending for 46 metres in ENE direction.
Circle 5 - This is located 7 and-a-half metres NW of the Northern stone of Circle 4. It consists of 3 surviving stones and has a diameter of approximately 4.8 metres and again, has a centre stone. The place known as the Giant's Grave is actually located on the South side of Kirksamton, this comprises of 2 upright stones, one of which is 3 metres high and the other 2.4 metres high.
Kirk Stones. Nr Gutterby
Now destroyed no measurements or details have yet been found. Not shown on maps.
Monk Foss. Nr Bootle
Although now destroyed it's reported measurement was 22.9 metres in diameter. This site is not shown on O/S maps.
Millom. Sunkenkirk circle, Swinside Fell (Also known as Swinside Circle)
A superb Bronze Age stone circle 28.7 metres in diameter consisting of 52 close set stones and 2 outlying portal stones on the south east side which are 2.7 metres apart. Although far less well-known, it is possibly one of the most perfect of all British circles. If travelling by car, it is well worth the effort to park the car and walk to the stone circle. It will take about 20 to 25 minutes to reach the circle from the nearest road, although it cannot be seen from the road. In the past excavations have shown that the stones are seated in a layer of small pebbles. Charcoal and burnt bones were also found. This stone circle is also called Sunkenkirk, and legend has it that the devil caused the stones, some of which were used to build a church, to sink into the ground at night.
Ash-House. North of Hazel Mount
Now destroyed it used to measure 13.5 metres in diameter and was classed as a plain ring. It does appear on some O/S maps.
Kirkby Moor. The Enclosure
This stone circle measures 22.7 metres in diameter. It consists of a row of stones around a bank. The stones act as a retaining circle for the soil. 30.3 metres to the NE of this is the first of 3 pairs of stones which are thought to be an avenue that lead to this circle. These sites date to around 1700-1400 BC.
Birkrigg Common. Brikrigg Common Stone Circle also known as "Druid's Temple" Nr Sunbrick
This stone circle consists of a double row of stones and a paved floor. The inner ring consists of 10 stones and has a measurement of approximately 9 metres. The outer circle has 15 stones and a diameter of approximately 25 metres. The heights of all surviving stones are no more than 1 metre high, above ground. During excavations inside the smaller circle, the remains of 5 human cremations have been found. This site dates between 1700-1400 BC.
Casterton. 200 yards S.E. of Langthwaite Gill Plantation
This stone circle is 18 metres in diameter and consist of 20 stones, each stone being less than 0.5 metres high and surround what might have been a cairn circle. The circle may have possibly been embanked and is of uncertain status. This site does not appear on O/S maps.